All you need is stale bread and a bait catcher or a cheap kids fishing rod for a fun day out fishing with your family.
1. Okahu BayWharf Off Tamaki Drive, Orakei map Fish of the Orakei wharf with fantastic views of North Head, Devonport and town. The kids can watch the ferries and boats coming and going while they wait for the fish to bite.
2. Torpedo Bay Wharf Torpedo Bay, Devonport map Fish off the wharf close in front of the NZ Navy Museum. There is a playground close by in front of the NZ Navy Museum where the children can play after fishing at too.
3. Chelsea Sugar Refinery Colonial Road, Beach Haven map Fishing off the rocks.
4. Island Bay Wharf Beach Haven Road, Beach Haven map Fishing off the wharf.
5. Shelly Beach Wharf Shelly Beach Road, Shelly Beach, Kaipara map Long wharf on the Kaipara Harbour. For tide times at Shelly Beach click here
6. Cornwallis Wharf Cornwallis, Waitekere map Fish from the 200m long wooden wharf on the Manukau Harbour. We are probably biased including this in the Top 10 as Cornwallis wharf is where we learned to fish as children and our family helped to build the wharf, but we think it deserves to feature in the Top 10.
7. Murray's Bay Wharf Murray's Bay, North Shore map Fish from Murray's Bay Wharf. This is another spot with great views to look at while you fish.
8. Old Mangere Bridge Old Mangere Bridge, Manukau, South Auckland map Fish off 69m long wharf with four fishing bays.
9. Birkenhead Wharf Birkenhead Wharf,Hinemoa Street, Birkenhead map Fish off the Birkenhead Wharf on the Waitamata Harbour.
10. Under the Harbour Bridge Curran Street, Herne Bay map Fish under the Auckland Harbour Bridge from the promenade on Curran Street. Once again there is superb views across to the Chelsea Sugar refinery, bungy jumps to watch to keep the kids entertained while you are fishing.