Sun11Aug8:45 am5:15 pmFeaturedFamily Planting Day on Rotoroa Island8:45 am - 5:15 pm Rotoroa IslandType:EnvironmentalWhere:Gulf IslandsAges:School age children (5 to 12 years),Preschoolers (3 to 5 years),Teens (13 to 18 years)
(Sunday) 8:45 am - 5:15 pm
Rotoroa Island, Hauraki Gulf, New Zealand
SOLD OUT Rotoroa Island needs your help to continue the restoration of its natural heritage. Join a passionate team of volunteers on their Family Planting Day. Volunteers get
Rotoroa Island needs your help to continue the restoration of its natural heritage. Join a passionate team of volunteers on their Family Planting Day. Volunteers get a 40% discount off ferry tickets to get planting!
Not only will you have a blast soaking up the ‘winter’ sun and atmosphere of this serene wildlife sanctuary, but you’ll be playing a vital part in keeping it running for years to come. And there will still be time to walk, relax, or go on an adventure to spot one of Rotora’s endangered species!
This planting day is suitable for families and children. There will be a sausage sizzle, plus tea, coffee and hot chocolates.
- 8:45am – Ferry departs Auckland
- 10:00am – Arrive on Rotoroa, welcome and biosecurity briefing
- 10:30am – Gear distributed and work begins
- 12:30pm – Break for lunch
- 1:00pm – Continue restoration work
- 3:00pm – Time to explore the island, followed by sausage sizzle
- 5:15pm – Ferry departs for Auckland
Remember to bring:
- Plenty of water, snacks and lunch, as there are no food outlets on the island
- Sturdy shoes (no open toe), sun block and a sun hat
- Several layers of clothes and wet weather gear
- Gardening gloves if you have them
- Any medication you require, especially if you suffer from allergies
- There are no rubbish bins on pest-free islands. Please remember to take all your rubbish, including leftover food, off the island with you.
Cancellations. While unlikely to cancel unless terrible weather, here’s how you can be sure it’s going ahead. Check Rotora Island’s Facebook page where they will post a cancellation notification. If you are unsure, please call the island’s duty phone on the morning of the volunteer day: 09 283 0849.
Getting to Rotora Island: 360 Discovery ferries depart from downtown Auckland to Rotoroa Island at 8.45am. The trip takes just over an hour, with a stop-off at Waiheke’s Orapiu wharf on the way to Rotoroa Island. Book your tickets online.
Event is FREE, but you will need to pay for the ferry.
Get 40% discount off the return ferry ticket for Sunday 11 August 2019 use the promo code 360111 when booking online.
Getting to Rotora Island – 360 Discovery ferries depart from downtown Auckland to Rotoroa Island at 8.45am. The trip takes just over an hour, with a stop-off at Waiheke’s Orapiu wharf on the way to Rotoroa Island.
Rotoroa Island Trustinfo@rotoroa.org.nz