Sat02Mar8:45 am5:15 pmRotoroa Island Family Day - Kids Go Free!8:45 am - 5:15 pm Rotoroa Island, Rotoroa Island, Hauraki GulfType:EnvironmentalWhere:Gulf IslandsAges:School age children (5 to 12 years)
(Saturday) 8:45 am - 5:15 pm
Rotoroa Island, Hauraki Gulf
This is the perfect chance to bring your family to an island paradise, and kids go free on the ferry! You can explore four beautiful beaches and look for takahē, tieke,
This is the perfect chance to bring your family to an island paradise, and kids go free on the ferry!
You can explore four beautiful beaches and look for takahē, tieke, weka, as well as many other threatened New Zealand species.
> Join a family day guided nature walk to learn about how we keep Rotoroa Island predator free, and it’s the best opportunity to see our special wildlife. This is a one hour walk that only costs $10 for adults, and kids are for free*
> Visit a beach – Men’s Bay, Ladies’ Bay, Mai Mai Bay and Cable Bay. They are great for picnics and a swim.
> Make sure you grab an ecosystem fandeck and note the wildlife plants you see on the island. The kids can be junior scientists as they discover our unique flora and fauna.
One free kids per paying adult
Our regular guided nature walks will be replaced by special family-friendly 1-hour guided walks which we’ll run throughout the day. Bookings essential.
360 Discovery ferries depart from downtown Auckland to Rotoroa Island at 8.45am every morning.
The trip takes just over an hour, with a stop-off at Waiheke’s Orapiu wharf on the way to Rotoroa Island.
You can also get to Rotoroa Island by ferry from Coromandel.
To get free tickets for your child (one child per paying adult), you need to call up Fullers. Find all the information here: https://www.fullers.co.nz/whats-on/rotoroa-island-family-day/
WHAT TO BRING
– Your own food and plenty of water as there are no shops on the island
– Walking shoes, sunblock and a sun hat
– Cash if you’d like to join the guided nature walk
While unlikely to cancel unless terrible weather, here’s how you can be sure it’s going ahead. Check our website or Facebook page where we’ll post a cancellation notification.
If you are unsure, please call the island’s duty phone on the morning of the volunteer day: 09 283 0849.
Before you visit please:
– Check your bags thoroughly for rodents, insects (especially ants) and other pests prior to boarding the ferry
– All bags must be SEALED – plastic bags, open top bags and supermarket bags are easy for pests to access so please leave these at home
– Carry food in sealed, rodent proof plastic containers and take your rubbish home
– Check your footwear is clean and that there is no soil or seeds in laces or treads
– Leave your bicycle at home and if you’re bringing a buggy, make sure your tyre treads aren’t packed with dirt or insects
– Leave your dog on board your vessel if visiting by boat as no dogs or domestic animals are permitted as they may endanger the island’s wildlife, particularly shore birds
Event is free, guided walk is $10 per adult. Ferry fees apply (1 child per each paying adult goes free)
Rotoroa Island Trustinfo@rotoroa.org.nz