2021Sat24Jul8:45 am5:15 pmRotoroa Island Skink Enclosure Weeding Volunteer DayJoin our fun family volunteer day to help the island's restoration8:45 am - 5:15 pm Rotoroa Island, Rotoroa Island, Hauraki Gulf, Auckland 1010, New ZealandType:Environmental,School HolidaysWhere:Gulf IslandsAges:Teens (13 to 18 years),Tweens (10 to 12 years)
(Saturday) 8:45 am - 5:15 pm
Calling all passionate volunteers and nature lovers! To celebrate the end of the school holidays in July join in the
Calling all passionate volunteers and nature lovers! To celebrate the end of the school holidays in July join in the skink enclosure weeding volunteer day at Rotoroa Island on 24th July.
This is an easy volunteer day (suitable for families with children 9yrs and over ) clearing invasive weed species from enclosures used by the rangers. The skink enclosures keep the moko and shore skinks safe from predators, so they are hand weeded to protect them and other native species.
Restoring the natural heritage of Rotoroa Island is a big job, so 20 they would like 20 people to come and help out. They are offering a fun day on our island sanctuary and a chance to help in the restoration programme. A sausage sizzle plus tea and coffee will be provided for afternoon tea!
After helping out, you may like to do the Bird Count Challenge – up to 1 hr challenge to count birds like a pro and receive a special badge!
HOW TO BOOK:
Register for the event by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org PLUS book your ferry ticket with Fullers online or call Fullers360 on 09 307 8005.
While unlikely to cancel unless terrible weather, here’s how you can be sure it’s going ahead. If you are unsure, please call the island’s duty phone on the morning of the volunteer day: 09 283 0849.
Rotoroa Island is a predator free sanctuary; before you visit please:
– Check your bags thoroughly for rodents, insects (especially ants) and other pests prior to boarding the ferry
– All bags must be SEALED – plastic bags, open top bags and supermarket bags are easy for pests to access so please leave these at home
– Carry food in sealed, rodent proof plastic containers and take your rubbish home
– Check your footwear is clean and that there is no soil or seeds in laces or treads
– Leave your bicycle at home and if you’re bringing a buggy, make sure your tyre treads aren’t packed with dirt or insects
Fullers360 Ferry family ticket to get to this event is $130 for 2 adults and 2 kids. Extra kids are $10 each.
There is no additional charge to take part in the event.