70 things to do in Auckland with kids before they grow up
There are lots of kid friendly events on in Auckland to keep families entertained. Auckland city has fun playgrounds, fantastic zoo’s museums and art galleries and family friendly Auckland cafes and restaurants.
Here is our pick of the top 70 things to do in Auckland, whether you are a local parent or a visiting family.
1. See the flowers at Wintergarden in Auckland Domain.
2. Go for a walk along one of Auckland’s black sand beaches like Piha or Karekare.
3. Pick your own strawberries at one of Auckland’s best strawberry farms.
4. Go for ice cream at one of Auckland’s best ice cream shops.
5. See a live kids theatre show at the Bruce Mason Centre, Q Theatre, Aotea Centre, or TAPAC.
6. Go white water rafting at Vector Wero.
7. Ride the roller coaster at Rainbow’s End.
8. Check out an outdoor scultpure trail at Sculptureum or Brickbay Sculpture Trail.
9. Ride a heritage steam train at Glenbrook Vintage Railway.
10. Ride a bike along Tamaki Drive or one of Auckland’s other bike paths.
11. Take a surfing lesson.
12. Celebrate the Chinese New Year at the Auckland Lantern Festival
13. Experience science at MOTAT in Western Springs.
14. Visit the giraffes, hippos, lions and kiwis at Auckland Zoo.
14. Attend Christmas in the Park in Auckland Domain.
15. Go sea kayaking.
16. Take the ferry to Devonport and visit its local playgrounds before climbing up Mt Victoria.
17. Navigate the corn maze at the Amazing Maize ‘n Maze.
18. Step back in time at Howick Historical Village in Pakuranga.
29. Climb to the top of the Auckland Harbour Bridge.
20. Visit the Cherry Festival at Fo Guang Shan Buddhist Temple in Flat Bush.
21. Check out the views from the top of Sky Tower.
22. Climb to the top of Auckland’s volcanic mountains, well at least one of them.
23. Visit Auckland Art Gallery.
24. Jump at one of Auckland’s Trampoline Parks.
25. Have fun at one of Auckland’s indoor playgrounds for kids.
26. Go swimming at Parnell Baths or one of Auckland’s outdoor swimming pools in summer.
27. Go fishing at an Auckland wharf.
28. Go horse riding one of Auckland’s beaches.
29. Visit a farmers market.
30. See the Royal New Zealand Ballet perform The Nutcracker.
31. Celebrate being an Aucklander on our cities public holiday Auckland Anniversary Day
32. Go for a family bushwalk and adventure in the Waitakere Ranges in West Auckland.
33. Take a ferry to Rangitoto and catch the 4WD roadtrain or walk to the top of the summit.
34. Go on a staycation at one of Auckland’s family-friendly hotels.
35. Stay at a bach by the seaside one one of Auckland’s beaches.
36. Experience an Auckland Philarmonic Orchestra (APO) family concert.
37. Spend a day and go on the rides at the Royal Easter Show.
38. Go skiing or snow tubing in Snowplanet‘s giant indoor snow dome.
39. Watch the yachts and boats competing on Auckland Anniversary Day.
40. Celebrate Christmas and visit the Christmas lights at Franklin Road or one of the other popular Christmas light displays.
41. Go snorkelling at Goat Island.
42. See the baby lambs at Ambury Farm.
43. Visit the vibrant Pasifika Festival.
44. Walk inside the lighthouse at Manukau Heads Lighthouse.
45. See the gannets at Muirwai Beach.
46. Go paddling underneath The Wind Tree sculpture by Michio Ihara at Silo Park in Wynyard Quarter.
47. Visit the tropical butterfly house at Butterfly creek.
48. Go whale and dolphin spotting in the Hauraki Gulf.
49. Experience Indian food and culture at the Auckland Diwali Festival.
50. Have a picnic in Cornwall park and enjoy the nature and farm life.
51. See the ducks and swans at Western Springs Park.
52. Explore the biannual sculptures and gardens at Sculpture in the Gardens at Auckland Botanic Gardens.
53. Go jet boating on Auckland Harbour.
54. Go paddelling in a Clearyak, clear kayak at Goat Island Marine Reserve in Leigh and see Snapper, Re Moki, Blue Maomao and perhaps Eagle Rays and Stingrays swimming below you.
57. Take on the challenge of an Escape room.
58. Go star gazing at the world’s only island Dark Sky Sanctuary on Great Barrier Island.
59. Catch the ferry to Riverhead for lunch at New Zealand’s oldest riverside tavern.
60. Watch the All Blacks play at Eden Park.
61. Visit the Hunua Falls waterfall at Hunua Ranges Regional Park.
63. Watch a game of tennis at the ASB Classic.
64. Go on a family run Round the Bays.
65. Watch a SKYCITY Breakers basketball game.
66. Star gaze at the Stardome Planetarium.
67. Go glamping.
68. Go sailing on a classic boat like the Ted Ashby at the NZ Maritime Museum.
69. Check out an Auckland Night Market for a casual dinner.
70. Go for a walk in the Waitakere Ranges and visit the Arataki Centre.